Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mind Games Review

Hi guise,
    Today's blog is a review of Mind Games by Kiersten White. I read this for free from Epic Reads. This offer is available between February 14-17. (BTW, this post is not sponsored. I'm just putting this out there. Today is February 16, so it kinda expires tomorrow.)  Mind Games is about two sisters Sofia and Annabelle--Fia and Annie for short-- who are both trapped in a school as tools for corporate espionage. Fia is born with flawless instincts with her first gut feelings being correct. Annie is blind to everyone, except when seeing strange visions of the future. Annie and Fia are forced to use their abilities in twisted ways while trying to protect each other.


      While the book has a beautiful cover, the book itself was a quick read. I wanted to like the book, but many things irked me. Though I like the idea of two sisters having powers that can be used as weapons, I didn't feel like the book was executed well. I felt like the whole entire plot of the book was scattered.

   First of all, when we get to one of the first point of views, we see that Fia is sent to kill a research doctor named Adam. I thought that he would be a possible love interest and there would be a journey between both of them to figure out why they want Adam. But after she goes back to the school, he is rarely mentioned except when Fia thinks about not killing him or Annie seeing him in visions.

   Second, the relations between characters felt forced and unbelievable. If I was reading the relations of characters, I would like to have felt it as well. If Annie and Fia were sisters who really cared about each other, I would have like to see flashbacks during happier times when they were younger or scenes where Annie is severely worried about Fia.

   Along with the sister's relationship, I would like to know more of James Kane's role with Fia and the school. All we know is that he cares about Fia and can make her happy compared to her sister. He comes to talk to the sisters, but I don't feel the interactions so much between him and the sisters except for the times when he gives her alcoholic drinks or taking her dancing.

    Lastly, I felt the rest of the book was rushed. I did not understand the exact purpose of the school and if Fia and Annie were the most prized possessions of the school. At the end, Fia gets kidnapped by people saying the school they're in is misusing them and Adam suddenly appears out of nowhere. He has feelings for Fia despite that they haven't contacted each other in a while. Annie ends up being the reason why Adam needs to be killed and has a prediction of her death. This does not make sense.




Guh! Why is this book so frustrating and confusing?

    I am aware that there is a read-a-thon  for this book at this moment and I would have thought about doing the instagram progress, like I did with Scarlet. But honestly, I don't think I'll read the sequel, Perfect Lies. After reading this book in one day, I believe I understand majority of what is going on. This book does not fully explain why some things are the way they are. (Which is a major literary pet peeve of mine.) 

    Until I write another random review out of the TBR schedule, The Fault in Our Stars is most likely to be reviewed out of all the books.

Thanks for reading,
Neko

No comments:

Post a Comment