Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Finally! I Will Review Cress, #AsianFirstWorldProblems

 

       Hi guise, today's blog post is a review of Marissa Meyer's Cress. (Defining review, more likely my random ramblings as a fan girl. Don't worry guise, I'll try to keep this as non-biased as possible.) I picked up my copy of Cress on Thursday before I hit school in Barnes and Noble and started my hours of reading this baby. (And possibly losing sleep to read this book. *Note to self: Do not read an exciting book before falling asleep.) Honestly, I should have read the book when I was not tired. I would have wrote horrible things about the book since I felt tired and tried to rush reading the book. (Not the best decision ever.) I honestly would have given the book two different ratings based on the halves I read. But as a reader and a novice reviewer, I would be giving bad publicity to a book series I really love.

     After I finished Cress, I decided to re-read it again with a much clearer mind and less exhaustion. Reading up to the parts where I was confused, I understood a better feeling of how good the book is. When we first open Cress, we see the Rampion crew preparing to stop Levana and Kai's upcoming nuptials and Cress yearning to escape from the satellite she is imprisoned in. Without trying to reveal much or anything, I like how Cress mirrors the original fairytale of Rapunzel. Remembering how Rapunzel meets her prince charming and being sent to the desert by a witch was cool as I see Cress and Thorne  in those roles. The development of Cress and Thorne's relationship is perhaps a much rougher patch compared to the developments between Cinder and Kai, and Scarlet and Cress. But, the rough patch I like to think of as a test for how Thorne and Cress will work as a couple and I think it has shown me how Thorne will have compassion for Cress. 

    Besides the scenes of Cress and Thorne, I was fangirling every time Kai appeared on pages. To be clear, while Kai is attractive, I am a fan of him out of connecting to him as a person. He is a boy who was forced to grow up in a dire situation and is struggling to make the best decisions for himself and his people. I was glad to see more of his sarcastic side and compassion as we saw in Cinder. 

    I generally liked this book and will be happily buying the fourth one as time comes.On a side note, I went to Target today and browsed the book section, seeing copies of Cinder, Scarlet and Cress. I deeply regret going to Target first over Barnes and Noble since I would have had $3 left in my pocket rather than $1 left. (Tagert Price: $15.10, Barnes and Noble: 17.99) Plus there was a bonus story about Thorne in the Target Edition. (#AsianFirstWorldProblems) Anyways despite my ramblings, I will be keeping my book and next time will go to Target to buy Winter. Believe me, price does not matter when paying for a good book but, it's nice to have a little cash on the side. 

Thanks for reading guise,
Neko

No comments:

Post a Comment