Thursday, January 9, 2014

Went Shopping Today, Continuing the Tiger's Curse Series, How I Buy My Book's

     Dear Reader, today's blog is a very long blog. As you all know, I am on vacation from school. I normally spend my time at home watching Youtube videos and reading books. Okay, I REALLY need to do something other than sit in my house and lazily read Lunar Chronicles fan fictions. My elbows feel sore from leaning on my bed reading for an extended period of time. I need to get a life outside of my house. I feel like a hikikomori from an anime.

           Ugh! Cold weather and low temperatures has kept me cooped up in my room reading Tiger's Voyage and now Tiger's Destiny. I just finished reading Tiger's Voyage and started reading Tiger's Destiny. While I thought Tiger's Voyage was alright, I was annoyed with Kelsey and Ren's relationship problems and the constant pop culture references. It annoyed me that Kelsey kept using those references to make allusions despite the other characters not understanding the puns. Also, I questioned the moody relationship between Kelsey and Ren. It seemed like Kelsey was immature during many disputes and had uncontrollable outbursts when she argued with Ren. I'm aware that Ren had temporary memory loss but it was annoying me that half the book was their relationship. Additionally, I couldn't not tolerate Ren not respecting Kelsey's decision to date Kishan despite her internal feelings. But I enjoyed the book more closer to the quest of getting the third item, Durga's Pearl Necklace. Continuing to the fourth book, I will expect the result of Kelsey being kidnapped by Lokesh and the journey to find the fourth item.

  While my last blog was about reading the Tiger's Curse series this blog is about how exactly I buy my books. As a person who receives a monthly allowance and doesn't work, I cannot spend a lot of money on books. If I were to show my book shelf, yes I do have a lot of books but, I used primarily money I received on 18th birthday buying most of them. But seriously, I should not be spending so much on books. I probably spent hundreds of dollars on books already. ': ( (Imaginary sweat drop falls from head). So pretty much when college starts for me again, I won't be reviewing every 2-3 days as I do at this moment. I will only buy 2 new books a month to limit myself from excessive spending and book hoarding.

      With that said, my next book reviews will probably range from books I buy from a thrift store to books I already have on my shelves. The next new book I plan on buying is Marissa Meyer's Cress. I have been following the series since I was a senior in high school and waiting for month's to borrow the first book Cinder. I won't be going into full detail about how the series affected my life until that review comes out. For now, I could say I'm writing fan fictions  and fan comics about the series but, my writing kinda sucks at this moment. I have the first chapter up on deviantart and will be putting down the link for peering eyes to view.
Link: http://nekofox94.deviantart.com/art/December-Story-Chapter-1-421805564

     If anyone catches those weird Naruto fan fiction on my page, the ones that were posted in 2009 were written when I was 14 years old. I feel embarrassed at how dreadful the writing style was for at that time, I was a delusional teenager delving into anything involving anime and Japanese culture. Going back on the subject regarding how I buy books, this is how I do it.

     These are the options I use when buying books, though some of them require searching a needle in a haystack. Before you read, I am not being paid or sponsored to mention these stores. I am just a beginning blogger pointing out how I buy stuff.

Option Number 1: Thrift Stores, Library Sales, Used Bookstore, Yard Sales, any used sale in general


    When looking at any way of acquiring books through used means, I really do not suggest having a severely open mind. Even though it is a great way to buy books for $1 or lower (or depending on who sells the books), you WON'T always find something you exactly like. In the thrift store I usually go to, I have scored on books such as The Lovely Bones, City of Glass, The Kite Runner, The Girl who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. In the past, I was able to pay 50 cents for paperbacks and $1 for hardcovers, hence why I was happy when I scored the last two books of the Millennium Trilogy for $1.50. But lately as I buy from the that store, I constantly have to ask for prices for books and only buy if it'd $1.00 a piece. Not the amount I always want to pay, but it's lower than mass retail price. 

   Also when buying a book used, I also can suggest bargaining. I have bargained for books before, often paying for lower than the price but, I do not suggest doing this every time you shop in a store every time you visit. The people running the shop might think you are rude with your offer.I think the bargaining method would work best if you approached it in a yard sale. The owner wants to get rid of it for profit and you want a lovely addition to your bookshelf. Just be nice when bargaining with the owner instead of being rude. This could help you more likely to obtain the book rather than being standoffish. 

Option 2: Dollar Stores, Discount Stores



     Like the used book store, this option is like a needle in a haystack. Except instead of random used books, there are piles of random books. I don't usually find books in this method but genre's the store can carry can range from fantasy to YA. Though, the books in dollar stores most of the time as I check are formerly popular YA series, random fantasy novels or random politics. I'm not saying that you can't find a good find, but you would have to be lucky to find a great book from a dollar store.

     In my first blog, I mentioned that I bought Richard Harland's Worldshaker for $0.50 in Christmas Tree Shops. While there were other books in clearance that can go lower than $0.50, other's were a few dollars off regular price such as Fifty Shades of Grey. (Not that I review or read that book ever).  Like I said, with the thrift store, you have to come with an open mind when searching for books at dollar stores and discount stores.

Option 3: Marshall's, T.J. Maxx



         Yes, I am aware that these are clothing stores owned by the same company. But, I have bought books from both these stores such as The Great Gatsby and Beautiful Creatures. I like to buy books in these stores because the sell them a few dollars of mass retail price. But the real beauty of buying books here is when they are on clearance. You can get a hardcover around $10-$12 while it is $18-$30 retail price. (Okay, I know it's seriously not that lower but, if you can't find the book anywhere, it's not a bad option while trying to save a few bucks.) But for YA and young reader paperbacks, when they are slightly damaged and on clearance you can pay $3, $5 on books that would normally cost $10. (Rarely, if you look hard, you could find a book cost $0.70 than normally would cost $10.)


Option 4: Target



    If you've ever ventured into a Target, you'll know they sell almost anything. From clothing to food, there would be no doubt that they sell books. Target usually has a selection of books that are new and popular for lower prices. Today in Target, I bought The Darkest Minds and the first two Percy Jackson books for under $25. (Not the cheapest, but it's more for my buck compared to Barnes and Noble.) I personally like to purchase books in Target because they sell them 20% off retail price. 


Option 5: Barnes and Noble



    You're probably wondering why this is number 6 on this list.I am guilty for spending hundred of dollars at Barnes and Noble. As the main bookstore (only bookstore) in the town where I live since the closure of Borders, this place sells majority of books from every genre. For me, going here is like going into a candy store. If I had endless dollars, I would buy all the books I could and devour them as much as I can. (Hence this is the reason why I have a book buying limit.) For me, book buying from Barnes and Noble is like indulging in an expensive sin. Anyways this store for me is my go to spot for buying steampunk novels and other books I can't find anywhere else.

     After talking about these options, my next blogs will be centered on the Percy Jackson novels and the Grisha trilogy.

Thanks for reading,
Neko





No comments:

Post a Comment