Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Type of Reader I Am

      Hi readers, today's topic is about how I read books. Right at this moment, I am attempting to participate in a Scarlet Read-a-thon with Marissa Meyer's Scarlet on Instagram.


     For those who have never read the book, Scarlet is a continuation of Cinder, which is loosely based on the fairy tale Cinderella and takes place in the future. Like Cinder, Scarlet is based on the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood. The story is about a young Frenchwoman named Scarlet Benoit who tries to look for her missing grandmother while uncovering secrets of the past. I really suggest this book because its uniqueness from other YAs and it's so good! (Plus I'm biased with this series, constantly reading fanfiction.) Btw, this little section is not sponsored. I'm not sponsored with anyone and this is my personal opinions on the series itself.

    Going back to subject, when I am bored, sometimes I watch book reviewers on YouTube. Normally as I watch booktubers on YouTube, I watch videos such as book hauls and book reviews. I would see the passion in their eyes as the booktubers joyfully review books and somewhat envy their huge bookshelves. (Or turning another eye at the massive amount of books they own.) Honestly, I consider myself a casual reader or a beginner in reading. I don't have gazillion of dollars to have many books, nor do I have the space to have that much and plus I am picky about the series I read.  Plus, I don't have a exact time to sit down to read books directly after school due to my tough major. I only have time to do mass readings on vacation. (I have certain exceptions to that rule such as The Finishing School Series by Gail Carriger and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.)

   While I do love books, it takes me about 2-4 days to finish average if I like the book. So don't expect me to post a picture of myself hugging a stack of books. (Though that would be a funny pic btw.)

Nope, I don't go for the mass reading approach every time I  read a book.


     Sometimes readers, there are books that other people and reviewers will like and rave about that I do not like. Though I can review a book on my blog that I don't like, I really don't want to give a terrible on a private blog unless I find that other people have a similar reaction to mine. Otherwise, I don't review books I do not like. As usual, I get off topic so....

The Type of Reader I Am
by Neko

Part 1: The Reader That Rushes in Excitement



                                                How I Am Every Time I Rush Though A Book

     This my friends, is the number one thing I do when I read a book in excitement. While I try to rush on reading the book fast, I will pick up 75% of the details of the book rather than 100%. Though I do that, I pretty much will get the main gist of the book. (Yes, I know it's a sin to do this, but I am excited to ram through the book that I can't stop moving at the pace I am.) After finishing the book, I excitedly start the next book in the series or wait for months before I reread. (See Part 5)

Part 2: The Bored Reader (or Actually, the Book Takes Years to Finish)


   
     There are times in my life when I really lose interest in a book rapidly. It could be the plot or the flow of the book as I read. Normally if I'm in this state, I will read the book for a period of time and drop it when I lose interest. Rarely if I'm in this state, I will finish the book eventually. Otherwise, I will give the book away if I know if I'm not going to touch it ever again. At least the next owner will appreciate it better than me.

Part 3: The Reader Who Counts Chapters and Days
Yes, I Know This Picture Doesn't Match the Title. Anyway's it's cute!

     Normally when I get a book, before I start reading I will check the amount of chapters they have. Yes, I am very impatient when I read a book just as I stated in Part 1. I will search to the back of the book and look for the last chapter. (No, I do not read the ending. I always squint until I see a number. Why would I want to see the ending and spoil the fun of reading.) Gradually, this will wear off as I enjoy the book in a faster pace. (If not, then see Part 2 and Part 4.)


Part 4: The Angry Reader


How I React Every Time A Book Pisses Me Off

       As I've mentioned, there are a couple of critically acclaimed books that I cannot tolerate. (Sometimes, it is also a book other reviews equally cannot tolerate.) When I first encounter these books, I like them AT FIRST. After that as the world and characters develop, I grow an annoyance and hatred for the personality of the character. Either:
A): They are so stubborn to the point where I want to say get over it
B): The character seems likable, but is really despicably terrible
C): The character is weak
D): The character is assumed to be strong, but is weak
E): The character does something that does not make sense or really something stupid
F): The character refuses their true potential until the very end

     All these points can "grind my gears" when reading a book. The character who is supposed to be enjoyable is in fact worse than the pretty description on the binding of the book. (Honestly, I try to be an optimist. I'm really an optimistic person but sometimes these things can drive me really critical. Hence, why I read other people's reviews to know I am in the same boat as them.) Nevertheless, I will try to give the book away if I hated it. (Even if I hate a book, I have to re-read them if I paid some amount on it. Grrr!)

Part 5: The Reader Who Reabsorbs
Yes, That is How I Feel Reading a Book Again

     As I read a book again, it is like taking a trip to a familiar place and gaining new memories. In Part 1, I mentioned I rush when reading. In this part, I recount the things I missed and gain a better appreciation of the book. Originally as I read Scarlet, I wasn't too keen on Scarlet's hot-headed attitude. (Especially after reading the Tiger's Curse books, her attitude was understandable and as I re-read the book, I grow a liking to her.) I also noticed details I did not completely remember as I read the first time. Same thing as I read Cinder for the second time. Readers, it is good to reread a book on your shelf. They feel lonely as they sit there in the dust, waiting to be read. Plus, you must have spent some amount on them. It is good to get your money's worth in re-reading a book. Who knows, you might love a book after reading it a second time.

     It is now time for me to go, I have to continue reading Scarlet and my back hurts from writing this post. Sorry for not posting much. I would rather post a really good post in a long time compared  to writing an uninspired post with a summary of a book. (Guise, I write my reviews in a diary sense compared to writing in a normal review format.) 
XOXO,
Neko

No comments:

Post a Comment