Saturday, March 10, 2018

Trying Not to Try: The Art and Science of Spontaneity

Today's post has been two years in the making from the time I received it in 2015.  
In today's post, I will share my thoughts and processes on Edward Slingerland's novel, 
Trying to Not Try: Ancient China, Modern Science, and the Power of Spontaneity




In the summer of 2015, I ordered this book from Blogging for Books assuming its presence was a self-help book/advice book using ancient Chinese wisdom as a backing. After many attempts of glancing and skimming through the book, I was completely wrong. In Trying to Not Try, Slingerland explains that the concept of spontaneity is based on the concept of wu-wei . Wu Wei is defined as "non-doing". A main concept of Taoism, the notion of acting upon wu-wei is somewhat close to the phrase, "go with the flow".

My relationship with reading this novel was far from perfect. Though Slingerland uses many tales and Ancient Chinese texts to relate to how one can connect with wu-wei, I felt lost and confused reading this book. I would have personally wanted to see more on how to grasp wu-wei into daily use instead of how the Ancient Chinese obtained it. (No offense to the Ancient Chinese). Slingerland also had a heavy focus more on Confucius' teachings and concepts rather than Taoist philosophies. Prose wise, Slingerland's writing focused more on the academic explanations of wu-wei as a paradox instead of a method likewise.

While the concepts of learning Ancient Chinese philosophy can be intriguing for history buffs, the idea of reading it for the uncanny reader can be daunting. For myself, I felt very overwhelmed in retaining Slingerland's concepts of the book that during this read, I had to take notes in order to grasp his concepts. In coherence while doing some research about wu-wei, I found a link to a website that explains simply wu-wei and concepts of how to encounter or gain it in life.
http://www.myrkothum.com/wu-wei/

In turn, I end this review short and simple. Do I recommend this? Yes and no.

Yes, is best for readers who do not mind taking a contextual approach to the journey for the relationship and complexities of wu-wei.

No, for those who want  to achieve and incorporate the process of wu-wei in daily life since this is not a self-help book.

I hope you understand my opinions of this review.

Thanks,
Neko




No comments:

Post a Comment