Saturday, March 15, 2014

Percy Jackson Overview and Other Stuff

Hi guise,
Today's blog is about the Percy Jackson series. I decided to take a swing at the series during my winter break from school after looking at the books curiously at Target and a suggestion from a friend. Before I read the series, I watched the first film Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief on Cartoon Network. At the time, I thought the movie was awesome and I kinda forgot about it. After reading the book the film was based on and watching comparison videos, I realize that the film and the book are separate entities with a similar background.


    This is my was supposed to be my last post of February. But it's March now so....  I can't post much reviews because I do not have enough time to read the books I want. So yeah.....
Too stressed from school!


         Starting of with the series, I read The Lightning Thief.

First book in the series!

       This is the book that started it all. Where Percy finds out his origins and his destiny. 
Percy Jackson is a 12 year old with dyslexia, ADHD and a reputation of getting kicked out of every school he's attended. His life changes after he was attacked by his substitute math teacher in a field trip. He is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finds out his destiny as a demigod and the son of Poseidon. When Zeus' lightning bolt goes missing, Percy is blames as the lightning thief. With his friends Annabet
h and Grover, he goes on a journey to find the lightning bolt and clear his name.

     
  Next in the adventures of Percy Jackson
    
      Continuing the series, we now find Percy with a cyclops half-brother named Tyson. Grover is held captive by a cyclops in Florida and is trying to stall his "marriage" to the cyclops. Along with that, Thalia's tree on Half-Blood Hill is poisoned and Chiron is stripped from his position after being suspected. Clarisse from Ares Cabin is then sent to find the golden fleece to heal the tree. Percy, Annabeth and Tyson go on their own journey to save Grover and find the fleece to save Thalia's tree.

     
More Half-Bloods introduced. Yeah!

     Percy, Annabeth and the recovered Thalia go on a mission to lead half-blood siblings Bianca and Nico to Camp Half-Blood. While being attacked by a manticore, the goddess Artemis and her hunters come to save them. Things change as the hunters stay in Camp-Half Blood and Bianca joining them. Artemis suddenly goes missing, leading for Percy and his friends to find her since she is a crucial vote in the war against the titans. Along with that, Percy will have to solve a mystery of a rare monster Artemis was hunting that could possibly destroy Olympus.


    After the last events of the book, Percy is trying to have a normal high school life. As soon as he enters the school, he ends up in a fight with monster disguised cheerleaders in the band room. Having to flee, Percy takes refuge in Camp Half-Blood. Since the last events, Grover's searchers license is put into question after his meeting with Pan. He must find Pan within seven days to keep his license. Along with that, Annabeth has a desire to find Percy receives startling visions of Nico summoning spirits with McDonald's Happy Meals. 
The group must enter a labyrinth to stop Luke and Kronos. 

An epic finale to and epic series.

     A year after Percy's last battle with Kronos, he is enjoying his summer with his friend, Rachel Elizabeth Dare. Percy is suddenly whisked back into Calf-Half Blood to face the battle and the prophecy surrounding him. Faced with Kronos taking over New York City and Olympus, Percy and his friends must find a way stop Kronos once and for all.


     Let me be clear, this review will be short. I somewhat forgot the ideals of why I like Percy Jackson since I have been busy with other things and life. I read the first four books within each other in January and waited a month to buy the final book. This books series reminded me of books from childhood. (Actually this should have been my childhood since I was in 5th grade when the first book came out.)

   The first book, The Lightning Thief was alright. Since I watched only the first film before reading that book, I couldn't connect to it well as I should have but, I still like this book. The second and third books, The Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse, I generally liked better than the first book and felt even more of an urge to go into the series. The fourth book, The Battle of the Labyrinth was alright but I wasn't 100% fully into the book and the final book, The Last Olympian is my particular favorite out of the whole series. I could not put it down and everything that was building up in the whole entire series was answered at the end. I overall would give the overall book series a four out of five stars and perhaps relive the whole entire series again during summer vacation.

Til later,
Neko

No comments:

Post a Comment