Monday, March 31, 2014

Cruel Beauty Review

Hey Guise,
I'm sorry for not writing for a while. I've been to busy and preoccupied with life to write a review. Unfortunately, I have not read any books within the past two weeks. So....


I'm sooo uber sorry for not responding at all.

    Luckily for you guise, I have a review today. As far as you guise know, before Ash Wednesday, I bought three books. One of them was Cruel Beauty by Rosemund Hodge. I was interested in this book because many people in the Booktube community were getting the book and I was also drawn into the story line since it mentioned the key words assassin and Beauty and Beast. I was interested on how it was a twist on the fairy tale story of Beauty and the Beast. Though I have never read any other adaptations of Beauty and the Beast, I have read vast adaptations of fairy tales. (Mainly Cinderella because its my biased fairy tale out of fluffiness.) Since I like fairy tales, I was willing to give this a try. Walking into this book, I had high expectations.

Gorgeous cover. Pretty as a red rose.

      Before I review the book, here's the basic summary: Nyx Triskellion is a princess who's destiny is to save her country. After a her father's foolish deal with the Demon Lord before Nyx's birth, she was destined to marry him and kill him for her dead mother and her country. As she turns seventeen, she must leave all familiarity behind to marry the Demon Lord. Nyx resents her family for leaving her alone and hate herself for not escaping her faith. But her husband Ignifex is not what she expected. While attempting to defeat him, Nyx feels herself drawn closer to him. Even if she falls in love with her sworn enemy, she must choose between saving her kingdom or being with the man she loves.

   Alrighty, when looking at this book at first glance, it felt like reading Beauty and the Beast, Bluebeard and other fantasy novels into a blender. Honestly, I'm not sure how optimistic I could be with this book. I usually try to find the positives in a book before negatives, but I really don't know what to say. First of all, Nyx is an aggravating, frustrating character. Her so-called "assassin" training for all her life was merely her sister giving her an untouched blade and the times her and her sister were playing with knives. She also failed to seduce her husband. (Correction, her seduction training seemed to be given in a mere day before her wedding.)

   Secondly, I did not understand the full situation with The Gentle Lord Ignifex and Shade, his shadow. I understand that they are two parts of a whole and serve a purpose, but I was not pleased with Nyx suddenly fall in love in one day and be in love with somebody else another day. Shade apparently loves Nyx, but brings her to a chamber that nearly kills her. Ignifex is the typical manipulative love interest, but suddenly becomes more sympathetic in the end. Since Ignifex had eight wives before Nyx, did the same thing happen as it did with Nyx or were they killed for some other particular reason.

  Third, besides her father's unwise decision and treating her as a mere pawn over a daughter annoyed me, the rest of the family is not so great. I feel like Nyx's aunt was giving advice that does not even work at all. I didn't understand Nyx's sister. Of course Nyx hates her due to the her staying and her constant happiness. It seemed as if she became another person from Nyx insulting her on the wedding day. I did not understand it at all. Then she's happy again after Nyx returns. Where is this story going?

I give up!

     Honestly, I wanted to like this book but I could not like it. I struggled with the first few chapters and rushed on the last few chapters. I felt like this concept could have been executed better but it was what it was. I hope this review does not influence your decision. If I didn't like this book, perhaps another person would like this book. I'm human anyways. 
Later guise,
Neko


No comments:

Post a Comment